It may not be ADHD
12% of teens and kids are diagnosed with ADHD in the United States, almost double what the numbers were 9 years ago. Dr. Nicole Beurkens discusses 5 key issues that cause ADHD-like symptoms.
Different types of ADHD
ADHD can present itself in a few different ways. Here are a few examples.
- One type may exhibit: inattentive behavior, struggle with focus and attention in school and at home, disorganized, trouble managing time.
- There is a more impulsive hyperactive type as well where individuals are more impulsive with decision making and behavior. They may seem “all over the place physically and mentally.”
- And sometimes an individual suffers from a combination of the two types described here.
This is important…
Inattentiveness and hyperactivity CAN BE NORMAL depending on age and setting. When diagnosing a child, we look for behavior that would seem inappropriate for the individual’s developmental level.
Here are 5 key issues to be aware of that can cause ADHD-like symptoms. Often once these are addressed, the ADHD diagnosis is dismissed.
5 Key Issues To Be Aware Of
1. Nutrition – heavily processed diet (sugar, artificial sweeteners, and dyes)
2. Sleep – 40% of kids diagnosed with ADHD are actually having sleep issues
3. Screen time – too much screen time can cause hyperactivity
4. Processing issues – this could be linked to issues with learning or sensory problems like eyesight
5. Relationships – kids could be struggling with relationships within their family or friend circle
If you found this information helpful and want to read more, this blog post is a great example of how easily ADHD can be misdiagnosed Is It ADHD Or Is It A Sleep Issue?
What else would you like to learn about ADHD?
What You Should Do Next:
- Sign up for my Better Behavior Naturally community newsletter
Sign up for my newsletter to get tips, resources, and supports to improve your child’s attention, anxiety, mood, and behavior…while making your job as a parent easier. Plus, when you subscribe I’ll also send you a copy of my strategy-packed guide 5 Keys to Better Behavior Naturally!
- Sign-up for my FREE Do Something Daily Better Behavior Challenge
Register for my 7-day challenge to get 7 days of quick, simple steps that improve behavior naturally…in just minutes a day. Tackle one tiny task each day to support your child, and join the thousands of parents who have watched their child and family change for the better.
- Enroll in my Better Behavior Naturally Parent Membership
Become a member of the Better Behavior Naturally Parent Membership where you’ll join my exclusive community of parents in a one-of-a-kind virtual resource accessible 24/7. Whether you’ve got a child with a diagnosis like autism or ADHD, or are becoming more and more frustrated with a child who struggles to listen and cope, this membership is designed to give you the information, tools, and support you need…whenever you need it.