Have you found that this time at home has caused a surge in screen time for you and your kids?
With news and updates coming at us from all angles, working at home, and keeping in touch with loved ones, it’s pretty challenging not to be on your phone and laptop more than normal.
We have had to reevaluate and create some new guidelines in our home…
Here are a few tips on how to manage screen time during Coronavirus quarantine
- Be intentional about setting times to be device-free with them.
- Flexibility during this time is crucial, but this does not mean rules go out the window. Since kids are at home, they may want to have extra time on their phones to talk to their friends.
- Create household guidelines for time spent online, whether it be academic or scheduled free time.
- Try to maintain a healthy balance and ensure your children are not overloaded with screentime activities only or using them as a crutch to pass the time.
- Use parental controls on devices to create clear restrictions on all of your children’s devices. I explain the ins and outs of my favorite management app, Qustodio, for this in the video.
Follow @Qustodio to stay up-to-date on digital safety and wellness for your family. Share with us what has worked for you and your family in the comments below.
We can all benefit from community ideas these days!
If you found this information useful on how to manage screen time during Coronavirus quarantine, this blog post also gives some helpful and specific tips on age-appropriate use Screen Time – How Much is Too Much.
What kind of questions do you have about managing screen time for your kids and teens?